THE ROLE OF PARENTS OF YOUTH SOCCER PLAYERS
WEST SIDE ALLIANCE S.C.
(borrowed & modified from English Youth Academy Training Module)
· Parents must not coach from the pitch side during matches and training
· Parents should not criticize their child on any part of the Player’s game, leave this to the coaches since it may cause confusion and erode the Player’s confidence.
· Be your child’s best fan and support him unconditionally. Don’t withdraw your love when he/she performs below his/her standard.
· On transporting your son/daughter home, please be supporting and always focus on the positive aspects of his/her game.
· Develop a responsibility in your son/daughter to pack his/her own kit, clean boots and bring along his/her water bottle full of water only.
· Respect the facilities at West Side Alliance S.C. and our opponents’ grounds. Pick up trash before leaving.
· Do not criticize your child’s coach to your child or other parents, if you are not happy with the coach you should raise the issue with the coach and follow the correct procedure laid out by your coach at the pre-season meeting.
· Encourage your child to speak with the coach. If your child is having difficulties in training or games, or can’t attend training etc. encourage him/her to speak directly to the coaches. This “responsibility taking” is a big part of becoming a mature person and a professional player. By handling off the field tasks, your child is claiming ownership of all aspects of the game.
· Help your child keep his priorities correct. He needs to maintain a focus on schoolwork, relationships, and other things in life besides football. However you and your child have made a commitment to the Club so help him to honor that commitment.
· Help the young player to focus on the performance and not the result.
· Support all the Players in your son’s/daughter’s squad. Do not criticize any other Players in the squad.
· View the game and practices from the designated areas for spectators.